True or False Quiz
- 1.Horyuj existed more than 1,300 years ago, during the Asuka Period.
- 2.Yakusi Nyorai Buddha statue located on the western side of the room in the temple's Main Hall.
- 3.The emperor Yomei vowed to build a temple and an image of a Buddha as a form of prayer for his own recovery from honor.
- 4.Ikaruga Temple was named of the empress.
- 5.Horyuji is Temple of the Flourishing Law of Buddhism.
- 6.Horyuji boasts an illustrious 14 centuries of continuous observance of tradition since established by Yakusi Nyorai.
- 7.Today, Horyuji is composed of the Western Precinct (Saiin Garan).
- 8.Horyuji is centered around the Five-Story Pagoda (Goju-no-To) and the Main Hall (Kondo), and the Eastern Precinct (Toin Garan), which is arranged around the Hall of Visions (Yumedono).
- 9.Horyuji contains over 2,300 important cultural and historical structures and articles, including nearly 190 that have been designated as local Treasures or Exportant Cultural Properties.
- 10.In December of 1993,Horyuji, as a unique storehouse of world Buddhist culture, became the second treasure of any kind in Japan to be selected by UNESCO as part of the World Heritage.
Created by Eri Shibata
World Heritage Index
copyright SHEJAPAN.COM 2005