1. Since Vatican is governed by the Bishop of Rome, the Pope, its government can be described as ecclesiastical and the highest state functionaries are in fact clergymen.
- 2.Vatican is the smallest independent nation state in the world in terms of area and population.
- 3. The permanent population of the Vatican City is predominately male, although two orders of nuns live in the Vatican.
- 4. Many workers in the Vatican City live outside its walls, including the Swiss Guard and embassy personnel.
- 5. Citizenship can be achieved by stable residence and by holding an office or job within the city.
Created by Midori Kawabata
World Heritage Index
copyright SHEJAPAN.COM 2006