Sri Lanka Trivia
Choose the correct answer.
1. The Socialist Democratic Republic of Sri Lanka comprises one large island and several islets, lying east of the southern tip of the ______________.
a) Indian subcontinent
b) African continet
2. On the scale of a world map, Sri Lanka previously known as Ceylon appears to hang like a tiny __________ over the Indian Ocean.
3. From north to south it has a maximum length of 435km (270miles) and at its widest point it measures 225 km (140 miles), giving it a land area of _________ sq. km (25,300 sq. miles), the 0.8 times as large as Japanese prefecture Hokkaido.
4. Ceylon became independent from the __________ in 1948 and was renamed in 1972 into Sri Lanka.
c) The United Kingdom
5.Sri Lanka has a population of approximately ___________,the same as Delhi in the Indian capital.
6. Although Sri Lanka is a multi-religious country, __________ constitutes the majority with 69.3%.
7. __________ and Tamil are official languages in Sri Lanka. __________, a language of Indo-Aryan origin is the language of the majority. English is widely spoken and understood. Place names and sign-boards on buses and trains are usually in all three languages.
8. The Administrative Capital of Sri Lanka since 1982 is ___________ and was in the 1st century the capital of the then most powerful of the several kingdoms of Sri Lanka.
c) Sri Jayawardenepura [Kotte]
9. Sri Lanka is home to world-famous ___________. In a country where many people enjoy __________ throughout the day - after waking, in the afternoon, after dinner and so on - preparing ___________ for the family is mostly done by the housewife.
a) Ceylon coffee
b) Ceylon tea
c) Ceylon orange
10. Sri Lanka is also a major exporter of __________.The sapphire from Sri Lanka of the engagement ring with which Prince Charles also presented Princess Diana now is famous.
a) gold mine
b) gold dust
Created by Naoya Moro,Aoyamagakuin College of Economics
Copyright SHEJapan.com 2003. All Rights Reserved.